View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 06:25 PM
Paul Haese

I am more inclined toward image scale these days. With the right diameter of course. My preference for image scale ranges from 0.85-1.64. Imaging with one of my AG12's and the QSI gives me an image scale of 0.94". This effectively gives me a similar size image to ones taken with my RC and a 9 micron camera. The other AG is working with my STXL11002 which has 9 micron pixels and does give a pretty wide field of view but not to the same effect as an FSQ and the same sensor.

Do wide field images rule? Well that is highly debatable. Bit hard doing galaxies with an FSQ and even a 8300 sensor. I know I tried. I do know one thing though, wide field images don't tend to show a lot of errors with guiding and mount problems or even collimation. They are great for extended objects. That might be more popular to the masses. You get quick bang for buck and not much fussing around.

Ultimately it is horses for courses. Personally I like working with what I have now, albeit still with some problems but I get results which is what I want.