View Single Post
Old 19-04-2013, 04:21 PM
bojan
amateur

Robin,
your website is very interesting for me.
I will definitely consider acrylic overcoat, when the time comes for that (later in 2013).

Rom, I have the similar issue with my future site - it cannot be (easily) reached by crane so that is why I am doing frames only for now, as a first phase of the project - preparation for the final assembly.

Since in everybody's experience the styrofoam only (over-coated by acrylic or whatever) is stiff enough once assembled into dome, I will probably omit pentagon frames and insert styrofoam-only pentagons in the remaining places (I still think the additional strength achieved by wooden frame is not an un-necessary overkill)

Of course, styrofoam elements (styrodur actually - it is much stiffer than styropor and will cost me $25 for 2500x600x50mm sheet, 18 sheet all in all) will be inserted over the frame once the frame is fully assembled, on the wheels and so on.
Btw, I found pine beams 19x42mm for 55c per metre.. cheap (~130m required.. not a first class material, but still very low rejection rate, ~5-15%).
I am gluing them together with Selleys liquid nails (classic) with the help of a template and staple gun.

Currently my production rate is 1~2 hexagons/day. It could be faster (limited by one only template and the glue setting time.. all timber spokes are already cut to required size), but I am not in a hurry.

Last edited by bojan; 19-04-2013 at 08:05 PM.