View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 03:48 AM
Tasaurora (Si)

It’s a skywatcher - 10” dob and brand new 2 weeks old. Synscsn / GOTO.

After entering all nominal requests
When I select brightest star or even two star alignment method - it asks for help in finding the first star. Once you have the first star it asks you to centre it in eye piece, via hand controller, which is no problem - it responds perfectly.

Then it asks for 2nd star for alignment - and you select from list (it won’t allow to select something out of range) and once selected, it auto slews to where it thinks that star might be - and it asks to use hand controller to centre the chosen star in eye piece - but - this is where hand controller fails to respond. You cannot centre the star because scope won’t respond to commands and the actual star location is often out by a fair margin to where the scope has automatically slewed.

You can hear the motors receiving the command as they think about moving via a light twitch (if I didn’t know better, you’d swear a flat battery but turning off and on allows an hour of use plus after this fault). Then - you are locked into a software loop, escape, back, menu - nothing but “enter” will work on key pad - but pressing enter tells the system that the star is aligned, when it’s not, so your entire alignment process is out the window...despite the alignment successful message.

Oh, and slew rate is 5 and quite reasonable.
It asks for sky area which I choose SE. (Darkest patch for me).

Example of selections. On one alignment attempt it asked me to locate Jupiter - pretty easy, so I slewed and cantered as requested.
The next step asked me to choose a 2nd star and I chose acrux - as it’s easy to locate - and scope auto moves to southern cross constellation and then says centre acrux in eye piece, but acrux is 6 inches away from centre - so I need to move scope via directional arrows and it simply refuses...

Might have to contact supplier - doesn’t seem right.

Last edited by Tasaurora; 02-07-2020 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Missed questions.