View Single Post
Old 30-09-2018, 06:26 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Good question Adrian.

What the stuff is neither I nor the scope's owner can say - was done by someone else, so also no idea what adhesive may or may not have been used. Nor if there has been any batch variations.

I have asked about some of the history of this scope, and the flocking was done at least 13 years ago. Untidy job too.

I am not saying flocking isn't effective - I've seen through your scopes too Adrian . But I also have seen synthetic materials degrade over time, glues, substrates, etc. If manufacturers won't touch the stuff, regardless of brand, and only go to the greater trouble of installing a large number of baffle rings inside OTAs, I can only also relay my experience and warn about these flocking materials. And if I'm am wrong about proprietary brands, then my warning needs to be made strongly directed towards NOT going cheap with flocking materials.

And Les, if it is the case of cheap vs the Real McCoy, then I welcome your sage advice and experience!

Alex.

I reckon Alex.

Get some of the flocking board, naturally cut to measure for your maks tube, and put it over the top of the crap stuff. The boards tension will hold it in place and keep that crap that's peeling off from coming loose.

I think its better then trying to remove the stuff that's already on there.

Any thermal changes affecting the tube causing expansion or contraction wont really affect the flocking board or the flocking on the board.