View Single Post
Old 22-08-2007, 08:17 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
1. by switching the mount to track in lunar, that will that track the moon and give you star trails with longer exposures for totality, say F10 scope iso 400 or slower?
I would doubt it - your exposures are going to be under 4 seconds. You won't notice star trails in that time.

Quote:
2. Under partial conditions what do you aim for - the bright section to focus or the "dark section"?
The bright section.

Quote:
3. What part of the moon is best to focus on, the middle or the edge? Would this change throughout the eclipse?
The middle, but honestly it won't matter. The difference of a few hundred kilometres (from middle to edge) at a distance of 400,000 kilometres, won't be noticeable when focusing. Your camera should be set at practically infinity. It shouldn't change during the eclipse, except for the effects of the cooling glass. It might be worth re-focusing every hour or so, and lock focus in-between.

Quote:
4. Now for a newbie to autoguiding - can you autoguide on the moon? don't laugh this is serious!!!!!
I don't know, but I honestly wouldn't bother. You can readjust using the hand controller if it starts drifting.

Quote:
5. How would you "white balance" A modded DSLR for lunar shots?
I don't know, but take the opportunity later this week/weekend to do some test shots and get it set correctly before next Tuesday.

Quote:
6. How many will be throwing nearly all their entire imaging arsenal behind imaging this event?
hehe, mostly. Thought I have to borrow another camera (300D) to do what I want to do. I suppose I could use the digicams in a crunch.