View Single Post
Old 15-04-2019, 11:12 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I had seen that in the other thread but had not had any chance to look at it.

I will probably give SGP a bit more settling time first up to learn my way around it. Just aiming to make best use of the trial period to see what I like or do not like before I have to pay for it, given that the things I really need that APT can not do (At least currently) are only in the paid version.

Once that trial runs out I will look at NINA to compare. One learning curve at a time!

EDIT: One thing I could not see from the time I had to have a quick browse this morning, can you set focuser backlash settings external to the ASCOM driver? The for "inward" focus moves the SCT focuser needs a big backlash compensation, which is actually to combat the mirror flop that is inherent in the design. To make focus behave predictably I set both SGP and APT with a 500 step (Half a turn of the focuser shaft) "Backlash" compensation on inwards moves, so for instance moving from position 16,000 to 15,990 will be a move to 15,490 then back out to 15,990. The Celestron ASCOM driver at least currently is a bit basic and you can't set that up directly in the driver. If you don't do it the focusing results are spectacularly unreliable.