View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 10:04 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

B*gger, B*gger, B*gger....20d damaged

OK,

I win the DFOW award for this. The usb cable wrapped up on my mount when slewing last night - put loads os strain on the tiny usb connection on the side of my 20d and now connection is only made if I push the cable in hard and hold it there. Relax the pressure and the connection is lost. Yes I tried a new cable - no luck. I have damaged t osocket on the 20d.

So a couple of questions:-

a) Where should I go for a repair job (I am in Sydney)
b) Any I dea how much this will cost me?

Fortunately there are no other issues with the camera except the usb connector.

You may be wondering how I could have been so slack (I know I am). Well it was cold, I was tired and had just had a frustrating night the previous night where my guiding was horrible - I tracked that problem down to poor polar alignment and flex in the guidescope focuser. Fixed that.

Next I swapped my imaging system from the DS-335 on the WO66 and QHY5 on the Vc200L to the 20D with a Sigma 17-70 for a widefield shot and the QHY on the WO66. I did not velcro all the cables to the 20d , I was anxious to start imaging, cold clear moonless night! My normal cables holders are placed for my normal setup - the 20d at prime on the WO66 or VC200L with the QHY5 on the opposite scope.

B*gger.

I did get an image over the weekend though. A shot of M20 with the DS335 that is quite good and I can image with that while the camera gets fixed....