View Single Post
Old 25-09-2011, 01:34 PM
SteveG (Steve)

Great report Orestis. I was very impressed with your sighting of IC 1296 near M57, particularly in what you described as poor seeing. I consider it an observing challenge in a 14" to 18" scope from 36 degrees North latitude!

Here's how IC 1296 appeared to me in a 48-inch Dobsonian from Fort Davis, Texas a few months back --

At 375x this low surface brightness galaxy near M57 was visible with direct vision as a faint, fairly small, round, glow with a very small bright core and diffuse halo. At 488x it appeared fairly faint, fairly small, 40" diameter with a round, very small bright nucleus. Surprisingly, two faint, spiral arms were just visible extending from the nucleus! A brighter arm is attached at the south side and winds counterclockwise towards the SW. It was often visible with averted vision. The fainter arm on the north side curving NE required more effort and was only occasionally visible but confirmed. A mag 13.8 star is close west (26" W of center).

I have a short article on the Pavo Galaxy group (around NGC 6876) at Adventures in Deep Space with observing notes for 8 of the members.

See http://www.astronomy-mall.com/Advent...ce/sogalgr.htm

Steve Gottlieb