View Single Post
Old 30-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
wow that's great useful advice Ray, thanks for posting.
+1 above - thanks Ray, that's an excellent summary - appreciate the time you took to post this (I'm a big fan of your galaxy work!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post

1.5m fl, that will work on an EQ6 - you could consider:
- an 8 inch f8 RC with field flattener (will take a long time, but give best resolution)
Yep, was heading down that path, but missed out on one in the classifieds still, they're not too expensive new at around $1k, and 1200mm is great, but f8 is VERY slow, maybe even too slow to get sufficient data in one night at a dark site (I don't often get to one, so I would want to make the trip worthwhile)

Quote:
- a vastly expensive APO refractor
I really do like refractors, but a quality 120/130mm +/- 900mm FL, well - yes big $$$

Quote:
You could consider a shorter scope and use drizzle to recover some of the detail lost in sampling. Then suitable scopes would include:
- an 8 inch f5 Newtonian with coma corrector
- a 10 inch f4 CF Newtonian with CC (on the weight limit for the EQ6)
Yes, probably the most sensible, logical solution Although cumbersome and prone to wind issues

Quote:
- a 7 inch Mak Newt (also a bit heavy)
I'm very curious about these. Around $2.2k for the MN190 or there's a Russian one for sale under $2k in the classifieds, f6 too - hmmm no diffraction spikes either ...

Quote:
Whatever you get will need a good digital focuser - my CF f4 Newtonian needs refocusing (by SGP) about every 10 minutes in typical conditions.
Cheers Ray
MMM, this is new territory for me - I typically set & forget focus at the start of an imaging run with my two refractors. Motor focus will require imaging with a PC (I currently use a mac for everything, I've never used a PC )

But you certainly have given yet more food for though, many thanks indeed

Last edited by Andy01; 30-09-2017 at 01:47 PM.