View Single Post
Old 21-11-2018, 01:25 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Hi Steve, and welcome.

Those Andrews deals are good, and the 30mm superview eyepiece is a pretty good performer for the price. Andrews have a generally good reputation - they've always been very prompt whenever I've dealt with them, but like anything there are always going to be a few people who may have had less than optimal dealings with them.

Dunno how big a Kia Rio is inside, but a 12" GSO dob is 1500mm long, which is really going to take some squeezing in, particularly when you need to put the base in separately somewhere, plus whatever else you may want to bring (table / chair, etc) if you decide to travel with it.

Regardless of the light pollution / sky darkness, the viewing difference between a 10" and a 12" is probably not going to be significant, but providing you can fit the larger scope in your car and lug it around, you might as well get the bigger scope.

A solid tube dob should hold collimation reasonably well, particularly if you're mainly using it at home and not bumping it in a car for extended periods of time. A laser collimator was fine for the first few years of my collapsible 8" dob, but a cheshire gives that extra bit of accuracy if that's important to you - I tend to use both now. Others may have differing opinions on collimation.

Good luck - either way you should land yourself a good deal.