View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 10:45 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Stunning session with my LX90 8"

After owning my recently acquired LX90 8" SCT for a few weeks now, I was getting a little frustrated at the apparent inaccuracy of the goto's.

I stumbled upon a series of articles regarding the mechanics of the mount & some settings tweaks together with advice on drive training

Link here: http://arksky.org/aso-guides/aso-tel...o-to-telescope

After doing most of the things indicated (not the delving into the drive internals though - not that brave) I was still not getting great goto's.

I took a chance & emailed the author & spent a few days back & forth discussing how I was setting up, the precision of my alignment process & so forth. The results tonight speak volumes to Dr Clay Sherrod's knowledge & patience in working through a good setup & precision star alignment process. I am grateful to him & a number of others on here for their advice, tips & patience.

Tonight's viewing was sublime, the weather here in Cairns is wonderful with cool (well, cool for up here) crisp nights.

After taking the time to carefully setup & align my scope tonight I managed about a dozen DSS objects including Ring Nebula, Swan Nebula, Eagle Nebula and a bunch of globular clusters as well as Saturn & Mars.

When carefully setup & aligned, together with use of the High Precision setting for goto's every object was well within the FOV of my 40mm Plossl & often, within the FOV of my 12.7mm Plossl.

This is a truly remarkable instrument & I am one very happy observer this evening... Even in my somewhat light polluted backyard, the views were stunning. Can't wait to get this scope out to a dark site.