View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 10:04 PM
ninja2 (Chris)
Chris

"Training" the Meade ETX-90

I had some problems with my ETX-90 during alignment. With the help of my local vendor we concluded the handbox was misdirecting the scope during alignment. So he reloaded the handbox software and now it's behaving much better.

However the GoTo accuracy still seems not very good. So I was reading up on "training" the ETX-90 at Weasners site (impressive but *very detailed*):
http://www.weasner.com/etx/techtips/etx_tuneup3.html

It explains how to use Polaris if training for Alt_Az mode usage, or to train for Polar/Equatorial mode using a terrestrial target,

Curiously the Meade Intruction Manual only explains training using a terrestrial target, and makes no mention of training using Polaris (or the South Celestial Pole)

At this stage I'm happy to use either mode, but I have a couple of questions:

1) What target can I use for Alt_Az training when I need to point to the South Celestial Pole. I know how to find SCP ... but AFAIK there's no easily visible star close to SCP (I'm in suburban Adelaide)

2) if I train using a terrestrial target can I only expect it to work in Polar mode, or can I also to use Alt_Az mode successfully?

thanks in advance ...