View Single Post
Old 20-05-2018, 10:45 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
I purchased my AG12 about the same time Paul and have had many of the same issues. I was lucky enough to be spared from the secondary astigmatism.

Ive added carbon rods to the upper housing which work well however Im still left with the rather flimsy secondary which cant be tightened in the same way you can in a tube design.

I agree that the focuser plate needs beefed up. Even the main mount dovetail could be more heavy duty.

Ill that said, kudos to GSO for the conical mirror which was rather unexpected. Why they don't advertise the fact is beyond me.

The main takeaway here is that an imaging f4 system is rather unforgiving and requires to be designed and manufactured within an f4 imaging requirement in mind. I dont think this scope quite does this.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for a company like teleskop-express to come up with an upgrade package.

I have attached an image with the carbon tubes i have added.

Dave
Dave how much weight is hanging off the side of that top section? I get the impression from the GSO build that they are expecting folks to use a DSLR (non-modded, non-cooled), or something like an ASI1600 and filter wheel as its heaviest load.
I wonder if you were just doing manual focus and rotation with a light camera, would the scope design be ok?
Given Paul's experiences with GSO scopes, it seems that they do not test with these sort of imaging loads (or perhaps don't test at all). Do we need to accept that these are not Planewave category scopes, but basic designs built to a budget entry point with reasonable optics?
I agree there is a limited market for customisers to step in and take a basic scope and hotrod it. Sort of like Holden's HSV unit. Is the volume there to justify a business line for TS or others? Obviously, someone like Paul could become that customiser, if that excited him.

That leads to asking, if you have to invest to upgrade, why not just buy the high end scope in the first place? Or is it the challenge of making a stock budget production model into an HSV?