View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM
dro56595 (Dan)
Dan

Hi all. A newcomer to this site and a relative newbie to this astronomy thing.

I purchased a cheapie telescope with manual EQ mount six or seven years ago. Managed to see Jupiter and its moons, Saturn and rings, the Orion Nebula - basically the easy ones. What that 'scope taught me was that I wanted a better one that will allow quick and easy finding of all those pretty things out there, and to photograph them. Didn't use it for ages while living in western Sydney (could barely see anything except for police helicopter searchlights!). Have just moved to Port Stephens where I can at least see the Magellenic Clouds, so she got unpacked again and interest re-ignited.

Being time poor (especially with small kids, wife, job and another engaging hobby), I wanted a quick astro fix.

Have just purchased a Celestron CPC 8" S/C with all those goodies that make finding things easy. A cheapie NexImage camera will at least get me started with some imaging and the slow learning curve of getting the best out of it.

Am looking forward to lots of reading/learning here, and hope to make a contribution one day.

Got some good views of Jupiter in the early evening at the moment. Will see what I can get tonight if the storm clouds clear away ...

Cheers,

Dan