View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 09:36 AM
74tuc

Offset Plate and Counter-weight

Offset Plate.

The offset plate is a plate of 6061 Aluminium (would prefer 6081) which has small ammounts of Titanium and Cobalt etc. The plate is 12.7mm thick and weight 3.79 Kg. I calculated the offset dimensions (by hand). All bearing surfaces (EM400 drive boss etc.) are machined. The holes on the RHS are M8 drilled and tapped for accessories. The holes for the TGM-2 mount are countersunk(also tapped). And finally the plate was anodised.

Counter Weight

The total counter weight as seen is 19.5Kg and as shown is "bottom heavy". The little green weight on the end (replaces the safety screw) was made from lead out of battery terminals (all my fishing weights melted!!). This weight has a bolt molded into the lead so it screws in as a replacement "screw". The counter weight was calculated(by hand!) before I made it. Please note that the bottom weight (3.5 Kg) in right on the end of the weight shaft so its effect is maximum. Also the total load, by design is closer to the RA drive axis than in the original Tak design because of the use of the high strength of the structural alloy used in the plate.

Hope this explains things,

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Offset_plate_topsJPG.jpg)
75.4 KB158 views
Click for full-size image (Offset_plate_bottomsJPG.jpg)
124.7 KB162 views