Thread: ASI183 or???
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 02:29 PM
gregbradley

The ASI533 might be the better choice but its only in one shot colour. The ASI1600 is the most popular CMOS camera. Not expensive (well compared to SBIG and FLI) micro 4/3rds sensor size, slightly lower QE at 60% but a reasonable pixel size that suits a lot of scopes.

I am using the 183mm. You can always bin 2x2 if the seeing is not as good. It doesn't seem to affect the resolution much.

The 183 has amp glow so you need to settle on settings and keep it simple otherwise callibration becomes complicated.

Also put the settings you used in the file names of the images you capture so you know which darks to use.

The amp glow does callibrate out very well so long as the darks are exactly matched.

There is a mono 2600 equivalent i QHY coming out in October. That has 3.76 micron pixels, no amp glow, 16bit and 84% QE in an APSc sized sensor. It will be very popular and will sell out for a while. Its basically a scaled down version of the ASI6200. I am tossing up whether to get that or the 6200 mono. 122mb files though don't excite me with the ASI6200 but maybe the extra field of view is worth it.

Greg.