Thread: Mars aninations
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2020, 06:50 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Excellent animations Marc, when the seeing peaks, the features really pop.

I generally focus on a nearby star and then slew to the Moon/Planet to help with best focus.

Now that I am using @Focus3 in The SKy X Pro Camera Add On, rather than the manual method with a Bahtinov Mask, focusing has become an easier task. Not so much the initial focus, but following any focus changes as the night progresses has much improved.

I think @Focus3 uses contrast method so can focus on extended objects, such as the Moon and Planets. here is an excerpt from the doco on the SB Website.

"While you can still quickly focus using a single non-saturated star, you can now also focus on a field of stars (some of which can be saturated), the entire frame, a galaxy, nebula, or even a planet such as Jupiter or Saturn, or the Moon or Sun (with proper filters for solar imaging). You can even focus on terrestrial targets. Because of this, it is now more practical than ever to remain on a target during an imaging sequence and refocus without having to slew off to a focus star; other than the meridian flip, you can now stay on target and refocus in situ as desired."

I'm not sure if NINA's focus routine can do the same, but I think it can also focus on extended objects?

Cheers

Dennis