View Single Post
Old 31-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Astro Camera's - to cool or not to cool

Gents,

I'm just curious about sensor cooling as a means of reducing noise in astrophotography.

I have a ZWO ASI224MC (uncooled) as well as an EOS1100d that I use; I'm only at the very beginning of my AP journey but, have noticed that my sensor on the ZWO is routinely up around 35 degrees... I live in the tropics where night time temperatures are often quite high.

I have seen a few you tube videos on adding a fan, heat sink & peltier cooling unit to the back. Some of the designs are pretty neat & very inexpensive & really only require very basic electronics understanding...

However, my biggest concern is the potential for condensation on the sensor... especially where I live where the dew point temp is quite high (tropics).., often around 23 degrees

I understand that the purpose built cooled cameras have a spot for putting in a desicant container to control condensation/dew that might form however, my camera & DSLR's probably won't accomodate such a thing...

I'm wondering if just using a heat sink & fan on the ZWO would do something to reduce sensor temp without bringing it down so far as to induce condensation.

Is there any value in this approach?

Then of course, there is the DSLR to tackle

Cheers