View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Cellmend (Justin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
I have the SW EQ6 Pro, no belt mod. I stripped and cleaned it, regreased the drives and reassembled and it's been pretty reliable since. It's carrying a Lunt 102mm ED F7 scope, 80F5 guide scope and associated cameras quite comfortably. Total load about 15kg I'd guess. It has carried a 10F5 newt before but it was my rebuilt Serrurier which only weighed 11.5 kg. It would be pushing the limits if it was a solid OTA I'd say. I've just completed an 8F6 build which should be a better match to the mount, we'll soon see.

That all being said, carrying heavier rigs is more about balance than total weight, within reason of course. Mine is on a very solid pier in an observatory, You would struggle with an exposed tripod setup subject to wind and other external influences.

I'm happy with my EQ6 for the price and performance, it should last quite a few more years yet and it was second hand when I got it. Belt Mod ? Hmmm, maybe but more money and downtime. Having the permanent setup in the tin shed ob has been the biggest factor. No alignment, no lugging it out, setting it up. I don't need the AZ capability.
Thanks for your input Zero,
Could you post a link or pic of your shed setup? I would love to see it mate? I'm also looking at 2nd hand and would like to know what you paid for yours if that's ok? Just so I know I'm in the same ballpark for a used one of these. Yep I don't think the AZ feature is the selling point of the one I'm currently looking at but its there at the same dollars so why not I'm thinking.

Last edited by Cellmend; 05-03-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added more txt