View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 09:37 PM
kens (Ken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellmend View Post
Thanks for your reply Ken
The Avalon mount you own is an awesome bit of kit mate, it instantly reminded me of a scaled down robot arm that works in Elon Musks giga factory! wish i had the coin to get one of them bad boys that's for sure.The mount im looking at hasn't had a belt mod yet so it might be something i will look into in the future.Is there really any difference between the AZ EQ6 GT & the EQ6 pro? I see little differences like screws bolts and the AZ feature but that's it right?
The AZ EQ6 can operate in alt azimuth mode which is only useful if you are interested in that. The altitude adjustment is quite different. A improvement on the EQ6 Pro and NEQ6 adjustments.
If it were me I would go with the AZ EQ6 GT to get the factory fitted belt drive and improved altitude adjustment.
With an 8” RC and guidescope I considered the EQ6 to be at its limit. An 8” Newtonian would be ok even though it is longer but I think a 10” is pushing it. Note that a dobsonian is a type of mount not OTA. The OTA on a dobsonian mount is a Newtonian reflector.