View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

For the 1st time in a long time, I took a pic of a star cluster with my 40D a couple of days ago with the same Ha clip filter installed. Counterintuatively, there was significant data in the green and blue channels (no idea why). I tried a whole lot of combinations with DP pro, CCD stack and PS, (red only, RGB into PS and CCD stack, converting to mono in CCD stack/DP/PS in each before the next step etc) and Im hard pressed to tell the difference bettween them. Mind you, I only had stars in the image.

One odd thing was, converting to tiff in DP, processing in CCD stack and saving as fits and then opening in PS via fits liberator showed a res of 72 pix/in. Clicking "open in PS" in DP then showed 360 pix/in (same image size) in PS, havent worked that one out yet (I also captured in sRAW by mistake BTW).

I would say now, use all the data you have (RGB) and convert to mono in DP or PS, cant see an advantage in chucking data out. And its probably easier, rather than seperating out just the red channel.