View Single Post
Old 17-08-2012, 04:28 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

This is just the latest addition to my Minolta/Sony collection. My first camera was a Minolta rangfinder. I still have an XE/1 I got new in 1976, a Dimage7 (the first consumer 5Mpx camera) that cost the earth and eats rechargable AA batteries alive, an a200 and now this a77. There is a bit more cash in the pipeline so I'll be looking for a reasonably fast telephoto. Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM maybe. Sony know how to charge for their big glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot View Post
Not bad.
Just a quick test. Any longer exposure or higher ISO and I had an almost white sky. It came down to trying to avoid the sodium vapour illumination of the trees on one side, and the eaves on the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot
(I have some Minolta A-mount lenses for my analog camera body, and wouldn't mind being able to re-use them, but don't want to buy TWO digital cameras).
Having the image stabilisation in the body means every lens that provides its focal length to the camera automatically gets anti-shake. There are M42-Sony adapters with user specified program chips to fake the data but I can't find ones for T-threads.
I might see if I can get an M/C to A adapter so I can try my 1977 Vivitar Series-1 70-210 constant aperture zoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
Ah, a welcome cohort. well done. I have had the a700 for a while now, since they came out, and honestly, it is a great camera.
The only snag with anything other than mainstream is the availability of software as RG pointed out.
Gary, I just wish Sony would release an SDK and add remote control to the non-pro cameras. All the a200 accessories fit too, including e-bay sourced intervalometer and lightning trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Sony = Konica Minolta once upon a time.
And just Minolta before Konica bought them out when Minolta lost a patent war.