View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 02:49 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

I just read it. Great article. I'm definitely considering buying a smaller scope than my 8" GSO dob for transporting around. (ie this McNaught comet, the west side of my house is obscured by a hill, houses and very tall gums). I also want something that allows me to track planets a little easier. When I bought the dob I wanted to look at everything, and I still do. As an amatuer amatuer, I don't think dobs are very good for planet tracking. If you do get a planet lined up though, they sure look great!

I do however have to wonder what secrets the above posters are hiding with respect to comfortably moving an 8" dob! All throughout the article the mantra of trying to keep the beginner interested is repeated, but if you imply to a beginner that carting around an 8" dob is as simple as carrying around a laptop, baby jesus is gonna whine like a ... baby. Sure some people will get over it quick, but I didn't. My scope has sat unused in the corner of my office for the last 2 years because its such a pain to move. Every time I think of using it, baby jesus cries and the sigh factor comes into play.

I never bothered trying to stick it in the car, Im pretty sure it wont fit, and I'm scared that it will get damaged because I don't have any kind of case to put it in (yes I still have the foam it came in, and no I haven't built a case for it using the foam because I suck at building stuff and I'm good at accidentally breaking stuff).