View Single Post
Old 28-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
The were single subs so obviously the longer integration (3600s) will be cleaner than the other two but even when combining the 1200s and 2400s it still doesn't match the single 3600s. As Greg points out, this is all to do with the quite high read noise of the KAF-8300 sensor. The principle remains the same with the ICX-814, the closer you get to overcoming read noise in the dark areas the better contrast you'll get.

Basically, if you stack a lot of images where the fainter regions and buried in the read noise, no matter how many you stack together you'll not regain those faint regions.

Basically you just want to image to whatever your mount can handle repeatably. With my EQ6 that was 10 minutes.
Totally agree.

However, I was quite surprised how little difference shorter subs made for this object (NGC6188) and with my gear.

I visually inspected the darkest area in both images and visually there is not much difference between the two, even though shorter subs add up to less total integration time.

On a happy side of things, this morning I finally managed to reduce play in the DEC axis to near zero and the motors do not bind, so should be good for collecting better quality data, fingers crossed :-)

@Simon - thank you for your encouragement
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (compo2.jpg)
98.3 KB21 views