View Single Post
Old 28-08-2016, 10:10 AM
gregbradley

The dominant factor is the read noise of the camera. QHY9 read noise is quite high. Sony sensors are probably less than half the read noise.

These older Kodak sensors can be made less noisy. QSI extracts less noise out of their 8300s.

I now have a FLI MIcroline 16200 I have been using now for about 6 weeks.
One difference I have noticed is how well subs stack together compared to other Kodak based sensors I use/have used. The read noise is quite low similar to the Sony sensors (not quite but its a large sensor at 27 x 22mm).
6 subs with fairly light backgrounds suddenly get nice dark backgrounds when stacked that I would normally expect from way more subexposures.

So improvements are being made by OnSemi on these old Kodak designs which seem to have been very static in their developments. Perhaps all the money is going to CMOS for mobile phone cameras and digital cameras and industrial vision.

It might be an academic test anyway if your mount won't do 20 minute subs or longer without eggy stars.

But generally speaking with ex-Kodak sensors longer subs are better than shorter subs due to the high noise levels which reduce the effectiveness of stacking.

Greg.

Greg.