View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 11:59 AM
thegableguy (Chris)

2" vs 1.25" eyepieces

Apologies for asking a question I'm sure has been asked dozens of times, but, well, I'm lazy...

Considering getting a 2" EP or two. Please correct my understanding if it's wrong, but is looking through a 30mm 2" eyepiece similar to looking through a 30mm 1.25" except with a larger field of view? ie same magnification, targets will look about the same size - you can just see more of the surrounding sky?

Is it a markedly nicer experience to look through a 2"? My little girls kinda struggle to line their eyes up in the right place.

Any difference in relative brightness between the two? (I would expect not, but maybe...?)

Are they sharp to the edges, or do they get blurry? Or maybe that depends on the quality of the EP in question?

Does it matter much what kind of telescope you're using a 2" EP with? ie would there be a lot of noticeable vignetting or any other issues with a basic 8" f/5 reflector?

Any other info would be great. I've just dusted off my telescopes after several years' neglect and am hoping a few nice new 2" EPs / Barlows will get me off my bum and looking & imaging through them again.

Cheers
~C