View Single Post
Old 22-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Icelandic travel rig.

For those thinking of doing something similar, some ruminations on the gear I'll be hauling to Iceland next week.

As I'll be packing some heavy lenses, and didn't want to lug counterweights, systems such as a small equatorial, or small tracker (eg Polarie) just didn't cut it. I needed heavy-duty stability and versatility: without the need to charter a freighter.

The final solution (pictured) being a Losmandy Starlapse, Manfrotto 229pro head on a 055CXPRO3 carbon fibre tripod.

To keep the C of G low, rather that use the standard Starlapse bracket, I bolted two V clamps together and attached a Ball head to a universal Losmandy V plate. Works a treat and still allows 3-axis balancing of any telephoto lens in my kit.

Pan-head is really tight, (the 229 head conservatively rated to 12kg) and had no problems with a 5DIII, battery grip and either a VR-head or Starlapse head.

I tested a number of tripods (thanks to Digital Camera Warehouse for allowing me to almost destructively test their display stock) with the aluminium version of the 055CX flexing quite a bit more than its carbon sibling with an added weight premium to boot. Despite the price premium choosing the carbon version was a no-brainer!

The head, tripod etc. easily packed into my suitcase with plenty of room to spare. Note the seriously high "test" 65 degree latitude of the Starlapse

Just hope the Icelandic weather co-operates!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IcelandRig.jpg)
187.5 KB96 views

Last edited by Peter Ward; 22-08-2013 at 06:37 PM.