View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 03:40 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Hi Susie. Sorry to hear the passing of your dad. Don't get rid of it. If he wanted you to have it, that's saying keep it and use it.

Wow. Where do I start.

I have been stargazing for about 4-5 years and still have much to learn. I have a 10" version of what you have and you should be able to get a lot of use out of it.

The wheels a re a ripper idea and will make it so much easier to get in and out.

I am in Tasmania and joined an astro club and have certainly had no end of help and they are a great bunch of people who are only too keen to provide answers to your questions and even give you some hints and tips and help with the gear. The first thing I recommend is finding a club or group close to you. Hands on help is the best.

There is so much to say on here about your scope and to help you get set up and looking at stars (and planets, and nebula).

I bough a book called Turn Left at Orion. It has helped me and speaks (sorry, writes) in plain english and easy to understand. A great mobile app to download is called sky safari or stellarium. You can hold it up to the sky and it shows you what is what in real time.

As far as the telescope itself is concerned, see this link for instructions on how to set it up and use it.

http://www.saxonoptics.com/pdf/Dobsonians.pdf

Please feel free to message me directly. As I said, I am no expert but can give you some hints and tips on how I set mine up, what I do when I head outside and have a look.

You will also get excellent help and support on these forums. You just gotta ask.

You have taken the first step, and that is showing your interest in getting outside.

Sing out if you have any queries.

Regards
Scott