View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 01:46 PM
JohnF (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I wonder who gave M42 or rather named the constalations Orion .. anyone know just how early?
I think ,John has something in the bible but so much of it comes from someplace earlier..I et the Sumarians..a years if I get time I will go d an answer if no one here has one...the Eygptians saw it as some sort of birth place which ironically the s out to be true with solar system disk's identified.
Alex
In my Powerpoint on Astronomy in the Bible I have a a picture of a Statue of the Constellation of Orion said to be 35,000 years old -- Got it from Google Images.

Orion along with the Zodiac Constellations were very old.

I have book References that said the Zodiac was not named until around 350BC -- a number of references claiming that. BUT, I have a Picture of an Ancient Sumerian Zodiac on a clay Cylinder from around 4500BC on my Powerpoint -- got to learn how to upload these photos.

And that Ancient Sumerian Zodiac is much the same as our Zodiac of today. Here are the Ancient Sumerian name as well as the Current Names:--

•GU.AN.NA "The Steer of Heaven" (Taurus)
•MAŠ.TAB.BA.GAL.GAL “Great Twins" (Gemini)
•AL.LUL "The Crayfish" (Cancer)
•UR.GU.LA "The Lion" (Leo)
•AB.SIN "The Seed-Furrow" (Virgo, c.f. Isaiah 7:14)
•ZIB.BA.AN.NA/zi-ba-ni-tum "The Scales" (Libra)
•GIR.TAB "The Scorpion" (Scorpio)
•PA.BIL.SAG (Sagittarius)
•SUḪUR.MAŠ.KU "The Goat-Fish" (Capricorn)
•GU.LA "The Great One" (Aquarius)
•KUN.MEŠ "The tails" (Pices)
•LU.ḪUŊ.GA "The Agrarian Worker" (Aries)

And interestingly [something Atheists do not want people to know] many constellations were anciently known world wide. For example, the Northern Constellation Ursa Major -- the great bear was also known as the great bear among some tribes in the Americas before White man first visited the Americas.

Taurus and Orion [Noting the 4 Stars in the Belt of Orion] are found in cave paintings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/871930.stm

Wait a Minute, Orion has three stars in its belt, not 4 Stars in its belt as in this car painting ??

Well in my Powerpoint I explain that extra Star as an Ancient Recorded Supernova, recorded in Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts which are talking of a new star in Orion.

See my Outreach Program is not designed to be boring -- at least I hope it is not Boring. What I find interring may not suit everyone.

So Zodiac, especially Taurus as well as Orion are very old Alex -- I may disagree with given dates.

Oh and the Bible book of Job dates back to around 2000BC, to around the time of Abraham, the Second book of th Bible to be written, so that its mention of Pleiades, Orion and Arcturus, under their Hebrew names is as old, or at least nearly as Old, as this Ancient Sumerian Zodiac Cylinder mentioned below.

Last edited by RB; 08-11-2019 at 09:46 AM.