View Single Post
Old 16-03-2009, 01:20 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Whats the least and cheapest mount i can get away with? (i dont have the money for a HEQ6) for acurate guiding on long exposures?

I started out with DSLR camera and lens on an EQ3 mount (motorised RA drive only) which allowed 30-60sec exposures depending on accuracy of polar alignment. Next came the EQ5 GoTo mount with autoguiding capabilities and astroimaging opened up to 5-10minute exps!!! All of the pics in my signature link below were taken with this mount.

Whats a good scope to use to begin with? a 4" refractor maybe?

ED80 all the way - cracking scope for the price, like this one...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=42421
Otherwise, try camera lenses to start with.

Remember, as you increase the focal length of the scope (+ weight of accessories/camera etc) you also increase the need for a more stable and accurate mount.

Whats a good camera (i know i already asked this, please feel free to ignore) to begin with, and whats a good method for begginers?

Anything Canon - modded or unmodded!! Probably a 450D for the live view capability - I have found that invaluable for focusing. I wish I had it when I first started. If you use lenses though, the camera will autofocus on brighter stars which is very helpful too!

Cheers
Doug

Last edited by dugnsuz; 16-03-2009 at 01:35 PM.