Thread: My new lathe
View Single Post
Old 23-11-2020, 07:03 PM
bojan
amateur

Yes, this is pretty old.. no electronics whatsoever.
The term "debouncing" is used to describe the behavior of the push button switch.. because electronics is much faster than closing contact of the mechanical switch, it detects every "bounce" and interpret them as multiple pressing of the switch.. which leads to unwanted behavior of the system.
In my case, "Up" and "Down" buttons have two functions, depending on previously pressed or not "select" button. So, when I press "select" then say, down, it executes first command (setting ref for Y axis) and immediately after that it executes diameter ø or Y. So I have to slow down the buttons somehow so only first command is executed. Not a big deal but it could be annoying.

This lathe has brushless permanent magnet motor, so it is supposed to have speed proportional only to applied voltage. But in practice, torque is significantly lower at very low speeds because of coil resistance (I can stop the chuck by hand) but I think it is not a big problem (unless perhaps cutting the thread on big diameter).
The better solution here would have been a speed controller with encoder and feedback (interestingly, this lathe has encoder, but it is used only for speed display). Maybe this will be one of my future tweaks :-)