View Single Post
Old 19-05-2020, 11:20 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Glen, excellent resource. Thanks for posting it!

Also, there is a surprising number of planetary nebulae that are visible from under urban skies! And modest aperture, say up to 8" or 10" from the big smoke is VERY effective. An Oiii filter is a big help not just fixed in place in the eyepiece or filter wheel or slide, but also in a blinking paddle to swish between eyepiece and eye to help with tiny PN's to POP out.

A couple of weeks ago during this StayAtHome period, I was inspired to do a PN sketching marathon after my good friend Sergei Antonov mentioned that he had pinned many PN's from his home also in Sydney. So over two nights I managed to sketch 24 individual PN's, as it happened to go an even dozen on each night. Each night the sketches were done in two sessions - the first from 8pm to around 12am, and then from 2:30am to twilight as other PN's slowly came into view. And of course, in 6 months time another set of PN's comes into view.

With my 9" Maksutov, I used the one eyepiece for the sketches, a Vixen 12mm SLV, as it made for consistency of magnification, AFOV, contrast and context between sketches. The exceptions were for IC 5150 and the Helix where I used a Vixen 14mm SSW and a Vixen 25mm plossl respectively. These two PN's presented particular challenges that meant a different eyepiece was better suited, especially the Helix - it is so large and so faint that I used five different eyepieces to find one that gave the best image from my home in Sydney.

You will also notice that the PN's on the most part are not centred in each sketch. I wanted to also present the star field that gave the most interesting composition with each PN.

NGC 3699 is a particular fav of mine because it resembles a mini Centaurus A.

What was most remarkable for me was just how much detail can be seen in these PN's from under Sydney skies!

One thing that does have a big impact on all DSO's regardless if it is from a dark sky or urban skies, is quality of transparency. I had viewed NGC 6302, the Bug Neb., just a couple of nights before, and I could see more detail on that night as transparency had been better then than on the night I sketched it. So don't just look at a PN on one night and then forget about it. Revisiting it could mean scoring a night of very good transparency and pulling even more detail from it!

Sketches were done at the eyepiece using white and blue soft pastels on black A3 size paper. Each circle is approx the size of a fist.

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Planetary Neb marathon 1 LR.jpg)
67.7 KB113 views
Click for full-size image (Planetary Neb marathon 2 LR.jpg)
61.6 KB85 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 20-05-2020 at 07:36 AM.