View Single Post
Old 31-07-2018, 04:09 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

set gain to 0%, 100% is way too noisy on 120mc and exposure to 20ms for a good frame rate, now set a region of interest around mars, allowing room for whatever drift you get, just do not capture at full resolution as its reducing frame rate and all wasted pixels anyway.get your log histogram up above 50 and maybe into 70s but no higher, it fluctuates so why waste capturing bad data you have to throw away?! 3min is good limit per capture

Capture 16bit SER format
install PIPP (free) and chuck in the SER file, click on planetary target at bottom and you can tweaak settings, basically use pipp to debayer, find and centre your planet in each frame and crop the output to throw away all the blackness around the planet you definitely dont need
set pipp output to SER again

throw this ser into autostakkert, enable sharpen and normalise to 75% and other things you want and let it go, Generally i just output to png and its sharp enough i find. up to you.

PS mine right now are brighter than yours but no clearer so don't panic.
all this will greatly improve your result.

and yes Mars is blurry still, has been for weeks very featureless due to dust storms. but its clearing no i think. so keep at it. take care focusing. I tend to do a couple of captures then use the focus helper to refocus completely then do a couple more and again so hopefully one of the focusing times I got it as close to perfect as I could and caught seeing conditions at a favourable patch too I process each set and can choose which I consider the best of the bunch.

dont forget to prey, sacrifice a Prius and cross everything you can as part of your setup ritual