View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 09:57 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Poo
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
I saw both of them this morning (in EU, 18:30 AEDT), like yesterday, with my 80mm tabletop scope in the twilight on a cold winter morning with barely above freezing temps. Hard to imagine with 40+ temps in western NSW / Vic....

I took a video with the Canon Powershot S100 behind the 22mm Plössl and the 13T6 Nagler, and selected the best frames from it.
The moons were easily visible, but not on the photo.
Even with the TMB Planetary 4mm (130x) they both fitted in the FOV, but the seeing was horrible.

After two years (of 21 Dec 2020) there will be a VERY close (and so close once-in-a-lifetime) Jupiter-Saturn conjuntion, only 6' apart. Both move slowly, so there is a larger time window (even days) to see the close conjuction.

@Tinderboxsky: Nice daylight observations, you saw the +1.4 Mars with the Sun high in the sky ? Great ! Your ED103 is very similar to my ED110, which I also use for daylight views. And it amazed me that you saw Alpha Centauri 'bluish'. I see that star in daylight white with a slight yellow tinge as a contrast to the blue sky, like Capella which is also a G star. But the Sun is also a G star and (when high in the sky) it is not yellow at all, but that is because of the much brighter nature.
An F star like Canopus I indeed see white with a bluish tinge in the daytime.
That Saturn /Jupiter conjunction not far off will be one of the visual and imaging astro feasts of the century..Imagine the view at ultra high power of both , and in the same field..priceless!

PS:Imagine showing this to people at Outreach events!

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 07-01-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Add