View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 09:40 AM
glend (Glen)

To Upgrade to CCD or Mod DSLR

Before I pull the trigger on the purchase of a QHY12 camera I need to get some feedback from the 'been there - done that' brigade.

I worried by the 'maybe' low return on investment (or the value proposition) of a CCD compared to a DSLR mod, and the processing complexity learning curve and time required factors. It's a major $ investment for a retiree, time I have.

I have this Canon 450D (un-modded) sitting here that I have been using for the last couple of years. Target objects are mainly DSOs, on my 10" imaging newt (f5, guided). The alternatives I see to the QHY12 are:

1. Getting the 450D modded for astro (or trying to DIY it), cost maybe $150;
2. Buy a Canon 60Da (astro model) which can apparently still be bought in the US for around $1500 - a big savings compared to the QHY12.

Questions:

1. Would the Canon 60Da really give me any more capability than a modded 450D ( I am not convinced)?

2.. Is this a classic case of diminishing returns on investment? Where the incremental improvements in image quality come at an ever increasing cost, and the goal posts are moving as the technology improves; and we get caught up in pursuing an imaging nirvana.

I would love to wander around the imaging ground at IISCA to look at what people are doing (and using) but can't get there.

Input appreciated.

thanks
Glen

Last edited by glend; 12-03-2015 at 10:01 AM.