View Single Post
Old 16-03-2017, 07:34 PM
AussieBill (Bill)

Jupiter - will have another go

Wow !

Thanks for all the tips.

Yes am a total newb at this. Am using stellarium to plan sessions

Will have another go at Jupiter when it is overhead, and will check out red spot times. I was looking between 9 and 12 pm last night, not long after the planet rose on the eastern horizon. Wondered briefly about "tangential" view through atmosphere but being as I could see the moons I was pretty happy.

Will sit down and have a decent go and be patient and see if further details emerge.

I guess I was very lucky, because my first observations using this little telescope were of our moon, approx 1/2 moon, and I saw gobsmacking craters and what I thought was amazing detail - this fed my expectations for seeing a bit more detail on Jupiter.

Must admit it took me quite a few attempts to be able to line up the telescope and reliably find things in the 20mm lens, then changeover to the 4mm lens for a greater magnification.

The local astronomy club has an observation night once a month and am going to the next one to have a peep through their telescopes to see the difference between my cheap one and a decent one.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Bill