No obs, raising Harrison

Observation Report - 28 March 2009

Observation Report: 2009/03/28
Time: 2100
Telescope: 4" F5 refractor on alt-az
Seeing: 7 (Pickering)
Transparency: 7
Conditions: moon=New, dew=very light, wind=none

Got the scope out for the first time in months - need a cure for astronomy, have a baby. The main object was to view the shadow transit of Titan on Saturn. But the night was clear so I viewed a few old favorites. I didn't set up the Argo, so some took a bit of hunting.

Saturn - planet in Leo
EP: 5mm, 108x, 45'
Notes: Viewed the shadow transit of Titan. Very crisp view at 108x. Titan was clearly visible just off the bottom edge of the planet, and the shadow could be spotted even if it was very tiny. I hadn't viewed Saturn in many months, and the rings had closed up markedly.

M44 - open cluster in Cancer
EP: 11mm, 49x, 1.7 deg
Notes: Just off Delta Cancri, huge cluster that I couldn't fit into the 11mm Nagler's FOV.

M67 - open cluster in Cancer
EP: 11mm, 49x, 1.7 deg
Notes: After getting a small blurb in Sky & Telescope, I went after this open cluster again for another view. Hard to locate from Melbourne, as I really had to peer to pick up Acubens (mag. 4-ish), but once located I hopped to 60 Cancri and onto M67. The same old concave cluster we viewed last year, with a bright member giving the impression of Pacman's eye.

Went after the Leo galaxies, as well as M104, but no chance from Melbourne. The night looked clear enough, but I couldn't pick up any of the Messier galaxies. Earth Hour... right.

Cruised through Carina - picked out Eta Carina nebula of course, and the stunning open clusters around it. Omega Centauri was very nice and I just got a whiff of Centaurus A - not much detail, just a very indistinct glow.

My favorite naked eye test is how does Musca look? It looked okay so I went after NGC 4833 and pulled it out easily. I couldn't see NGC 4372.