Thread: Green wall
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 11:27 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Dwarf Lilly Pilly are a low fire risk species which will hedge up to 3-4m and shade the wall while staying 1 m away and not risking termite ladders. Avoid any conifers or light weight exotic species which are like Roman candles.

My Lilly Pillies also provide food for a ring-tailed possum, which I hear about the place while observing. However the term 'dwarf' is relative, they are naturally a rainforest giant. In my experience promises like 'only grows to XXX' is referring to the first two years - after that all bets are off. I keep my dwarf lilly pillies to about 4m with frequent pruning but it doesn't produce a beautiful plant.

There is a place around here that has hung shade cloth from the gutters to the ground on their brick western wall. I think it's a rental and it looks bog ugly but I presume it helps. Perhaps you could try something like that but keep it looking nice. I'm thinking of replacing the fly screen on one window with shade cloth. We never open that window and it lets in lots of afternoon heat, even with the blind closed.