Thread: Green wall
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 03:24 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Green wall

Hi guys, I'm working on insulating my house a little better working out different strategies. One of them is to use green walls, ivy type stuff on wires or lattice/mesh. The thinking is to mask the large surface of brick walls I have on my house from direct sunlight and try to keep the brick work as cool as I possibly can. So I need something that is going to grow relatively fast then withstand full sunlight and some heat and finally require a reasonable amount of water. I don't really care if it needs trimming often. I can live with that. I'd rather be cooler indoors.

So I did a bit of reading. There's one called star jasmine. It needs wires to grow and supposed to be hardy. The other one is the creeping fig. That one sounds like a pack of piranas. It attaches to the brickwork directly and it's dense.

So I'm asking if any of you guys have had experience in using green walls for brickwork insulation, any recommendation on what to do and what to avoid, etc...

I'm in Sydney west. It rains occasionally, gets bloody hot in summer. Well I guess a bit like everywhere nowadays. We don't get frost as such. Haven't had any in a while anyway. It can get pretty windy at times but nothing like closer to the city. We do get hail at times but nothing more that 10mm balls. Nothing really. We got lucky this year compared to other areas.

Thanks for any tips.