View Single Post
Old 25-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Slawomir,

I'm not suggesting you should do something different - autofocus seems to be more reliable/forgiving on slower refractors than faster Newtonians and if it was working for me I'd use it.

What I'm saying is it doesn't make sense for me to ignore the inconsistent results I'm getting with autofocus on my rig. I'd rather set the sequence to automatically pause for autofocus when the temperature drops 1 or 2 degrees (TBD) and get a good focus manually with the mask than capture a night worth of rubbish. I can pre-set a focus star position and slew to that with one click. When focus is done I can use centre target to re-centre the target. If I use filter offsets I only need to re-focus when the temperature changes.
Hi Peter,

I looks like carefully selected filter offsets might be the way to go in your case That would certainly be the quickest way of adjusting focus. I know that some networks of robotic telescopes (such as iTelescope.Net for example) have an option for using filter offsets.

It shouldn't take to long to set up filter offsets. I would love to help with experimenting, but my camera has been sent for upgrading, so I am out of action for a while.