View Single Post
Old 19-10-2017, 08:20 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Gday Damien

Buffering isnt a problem as my W7 box has heaps of space, and i was simply going to attach the W2K ide drive via a USB adapter, and simply clone the image. Also, i have less than 50% usage on each drive, but the cloning software says the partition sizes need to be same or less.
ie stored image size vs required image size can vary depending on how it is imaged. Not sure how smart they are re dumping a couple of MB of unused bits when re imaging. That doesnt bother me as i can always reset the partition sizes after reimaging.
Ahh, gotcha. Got confused thinking you only had 80GB drives.

FYI, this is how I use Ghost to do pretty much exactly what you want to do.

I have a bootable CD with Ghost on it.
First, you boot from the CD and simply run Ghost which gives a simple menu and my choice is 'Backup entire disk to image'. Then I choose the drive OR partition that I want to backup and it just does it and writes the image to an external USB drive.

Simply repeat the process and choose restore to re create the disk from the image file on the USB drive..

You get some options for compression vs speed and I usually choose compression to save on storage of the image.

This works very well with Win 2000 and XP and when you restore, your computer does have the correct boot sectors in place etc and just starts normally. And the nature of how it backs up also defrags the data!

There are a couple of gotchas with Win7 if you want to image that OS, especially if you have multiple hard disks but quite simple to get around.

15 minutes restore compared with hours of installing.

I'll send you a PM to discuss further.

Cheers,

Damien.