View Single Post
Old 29-03-2010, 09:08 AM
tonybarry (Tony)

Quote:
to achieve relastic colors is what we are eager to obtain in all our astro-imaging efforts, isn't it? however, the question would be: what is realistic? what is objective ?
Hello Dietz,

You make a very good point here, one which has occupied my thinking since I obtained a monochrome camera for astro imaging and had to assemble an RGB image from three individual colour representations.

I recall asking the question here - how does one do a "colour balance"? when it's not possible to see the object one is imaging (or see it only very faintly?)

The best answer I got was to do a colour balance on a star which has a known spectral hue (e.g. Betelgeuse for reds, Rigel for blue) ... which does offer some kind of a reference white (or colour).

It is partially for this reason that I think the OSC (one-shot-colour) cameras for astro work may be more reasonable items to use, even though the Bayer Mask does cut down the light intensity considerably.

I hope you can continue your thinking on the subject, and look forward to your thoughts.

Regards,
Tony Barry