View Single Post
Old 17-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Tony, nothing really wrong with your moon shot. Considering it is a single shot , you just have to be lucky to capture an image while the atmospheric turbulence is minimal. That's why, as suggested, you capture some video footage which enables a choice of frames during a period of better seeing. The free software you can download will sort out the best video frames and stack them. After adjustments to the stacked image you will get a sharper result. I expect the fact you shot the moon at a lower altitude with the 8 inch Meade explains why it looked no better than the ST80. It should give better results than the refractor, provided it is well collminated. The CA on the ST80 isn't too bad really, I see a hint of purple fringing on the edges but it's quite acceptable. I have the 100mm version of this scope and have done some nice lunar photography with it but that was using the video feature of my camera. I have even done some planetary work with it using the eyepiece projection method. Just keep trying and experimenting, read lots and research the details used for other people's astrophotos and you will soon shoot great photos yourself. Good luck.