View Single Post
Old 14-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

My experience is that it is all to do with the FWHM in your image rather than image scale. For instance, when shooting M16 in Ha with a QHY163M and 130mm refractor I get an image scale of 1.16”/pixel and under good seeing I was getting FWHM values of 1.7 pixels in the stack from that night.

Did drizzle integrating help? Yes. What it does is enlarge the image in a way that approximates the values of the missing pixels. It doesn’t actually show new information that isn’t in the original non-drizzle stack but it enlarges it and makes it easier to see and process; especially with later deconvolution.

With a OSC you don’t get extra resolution as much as you get better colour rendition. I have bayered images with FWHM values as low as 1.5 pixels but once it is debayered and interpolated that rises to 2.2-2.6 pixels. Bayer Drizzle doesn’t increase resolution in the same way that you can with a mono camera because images still have to be interpolated but you do get better more accurate colour and better PSFs on stars as drizzled OSC images are still going to have FWHMs of 4+ pixels as a minimum.