Thread: Hi I'm new here
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 11:05 AM
namtao (Trung)

Hi I'm new here

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I came across this article from RACV newsletter, which also caught the eyes of my 8 yo. We then wait for a clear day and able to spot the formation. That really got us intrigue, and I decided to look for a telescope.

Over the last few days, i have been doing some reading on what would be a simple and useful telescope to buy, and have visited a local store. So far the advice i've got was a Dobsonian reflective telescope. By seeing them in the flesh, I quickly discounted it as an option due to the sheer size even at 6". I'd like to get something more portable, such as a refractive or a Mak-Cassegrain.

The purpose of the scope is mainly to get me started, and would like to be able to take it with us whenever we have a short break in the country and most importantly be an education tool for my 8 yo.

I came across these, they seem to tick the price point and portability boxes, but not sure about the usability, so i would appreciate your guidance:

- Celestron NextStar 4SE
- Orion 10022 StarMax 90mm TableTop Maksutov-Cassegrain
- SkyWatcher Star Discovery 127/1500 Mak-Cassegrain

I also saw some refractive telescopes in the forum classified section, should go for those instead?

Thanks