View Single Post
Old 20-03-2021, 07:03 PM
astro744

How are you getting the upgrade? I don’t have a Windows 10 Home platform to check but when I upgraded Windows 7 Home to Windows 7 Pro for a couple of new work machines (bought with Home preinstalled) that needed Pro to get onto the work domain it was a case of buying the Pro upgrade in the form of a new licence code only, no software, sold as a physical pack in-store.

This simply unlocked the Pro features that were already installed by going into Control Panel and clicking on upgrade version of Windows in System. The other way of getting the upgrade was online through the Microsoft store which is probably how you would do it for 10.

When I later upgraded the 7 machines to 10 the installation gave me 10 Pro since I had 7 Pro. I chose the clean install option as I would normally always recommend this but I soon found some software and hardware (older printer/scanner) did not work under 10 and there was no new drivers or compatible software that would fix this. I ended up reinstalling 7 Pro and kept it as is until Microsoft announced 7 would be retired so I tried 10 again but this time did the upgrade as an upgrade and not clean install. Not only did I get Windows 10 as before I got all my software and hardware to work flawlessly so in my case an upgrade was the way to go rather than a clean install.

I believe the upgrade option will simply unlock Pro features. What have you got to lose, if you don’t like what it has done then do a clean install and use the Pro licence code.

For more info see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-d1a218cc2818