View Single Post
Old 22-07-2013, 11:24 AM
naskies (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
I've had the same issue with my nautilus filter wheel. I need to fidget with it every session to get it to work. It's not my laptop either because I have the same issue with it on my other laptop and on my desktop. I even went to extremes and reformatted my astro laptop just in case it would help. Either it's broken or the drivers aren't worth ****. Either way, I'm taking it back to bintel today.
Is the filter wheel connected via USB? If so, have you tried running it off an externally powered USB hub?

I used to have the same issues with a lot of equipment that appeared to be driver issues, but one day I picked up a powered USB hub and used a Jaycar 12V -> 5V adapter... then it was magically solved.

(This included equipment such as cameras which had their own power supply, but were still intermittently failing when connected to my laptop.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I'm using it now, and it seems fine - by the same token I wouldn't trust it in a remote setting (wouldn't trust my G-11 remotely either! - so that's a bit academic..)...
I've had a few issues with sudden temperature changes - especially at the dark site I go to (west of the Great Dividing Range) where the temperature plunges at dusk.

I do notice that many of my USB connections shift with the daily temperature cycles and occasionally need to be reseated. I agree that it's a hassle - especially when it's remotely operated in my back yard about 100 metres away.