View Single Post
Old 29-04-2016, 04:34 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
If you do a good drift alignment then you're exposures will only be limited by your periodic error. There's a lot to be had within that timescale, whatever it is. Then there's guiding....I chose a netbook, cheap, low power consumption, does the job just as well as any...
Drift alignment is quite doable at 510mm (my current ineptitude notwithstanding), but I'm very keen to go bigger. Programming the PEC will help, but I need a guidescope to do that anyway so may as well just go the whole hog and take the next step down this sinkhole of money - as soon as I can afford it, that is.

And it's all worth it, really. I know I'm preaching to the choir with this particular audience, but the feeling I get looking at these images that you're all taking, and afterwards when I read up on what they actually are... colliding galaxies, exploding stars, stellar nurseries, stars older than the Milky Way, solar winds blasting out at half the speed of light... what an astonishing place this universe is. Just incredible. And so crazily beautiful.