View Single Post
Old 21-02-2013, 03:56 PM
garywiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Perhaps I am missing something obvious.....but, what exactly do you intend to image with this camera? Video would normally be reserved for solar system targets.
Well, I guess the first thing I'm wondering if it's worth questioning that assumption. For example, here is a page that describes (and has examples) of doing deep sky photography with a StellaCam II: http://www.lafterhall.com/stellacam2.html

There are many others. When I see things like this, I start thinking:
  • If you can do something "marginally acceptable" with an ST2, then clearly it must be possible with better technology.
  • There is far better video technology than the ST2 and any camera that outputs GigaE is going to deliver more precise versions of what's captured.
  • What is available today is better than what is available yesterday, so video technology may be "on the cusp" of being able to do more than it has in the past, where people restricted their use to planetary photography.

Obviously, if the goal is to create the very best Deep Sky images, long exposures using an excellent EQ mount and the best DSLR you can possibly afford will do the best job.

But is that really necessary? And, can we do better with CCD/CMOS than is currently assumed possible? It may open up the possibilities for higher speed captures and shorter exposures using frame-integrating cameras, something which DSLR cameras do not do (at least I am not aware of a frame-integrating DSLR).

That's the question I'm exploring.