View Single Post
Old 21-02-2013, 12:06 PM
garywiz

Thanks ZeriID, if I make any progress it probably won't be for a few months, but I will post things here, I just love this forum! (And astronomy!)

Right now I am just in the research phase, I may even build something from board level components.

One reason I want to go with video or frame-integration devices is that I have a Celestron 6SE with an AltAz mount. Obviously, longer exposures aren't going to work out, but the other day tracking 2012DA14, I realised that video could actually do justice to some subjects that still photography cannot.

On the other hand, I am sure I will eventually buy an EQ mount, but my theory is that fast exposure times and a good sensitive hi-res frame integration camera will just be even more useful on an EQ mount where there is greater lattitude for exposure. So, trying to get the photography setup on an AltAz mount for video seems a worthy cause and a good challenge.

It seems to me that even with an EQ mount, subtle vibrations could easily cause blur on long exposures unless you are meticulously careful (which I realise many people who do astrophotography actually are).